MECHANOCHEMISTRY - FROM LAB TO INDUSTRIAL APPLICATIONS
The WAB IMPA°CT REACTOR applies mechanical energy by bead milling, enables in-situ heating, pressure activation in continuous flow and is scalable to industry requirements. The WAB IMPA°CT REACTOR is our latest innovation in the field of mechanochemistry. An inductive heater arranged around the stirring elements enables direct and efficient heating of the reactants up to +160 °C. Together with the impact beads located in the reactor chamber, the WAB IMPA°CT REACTOR is a ground-breaking, user friendly and application-specific apparatus for molecular synthesis by means of mechanochemistry. Conventional batch processes can be replaced by a continuous process. The newly developed WAB IMPA°CT REACTOR enables faster, more selective and novel reactivities. And an industrial scale-up from g/h to tons/h is also available.LEARN MORE
160° C in-situ heating
WAB IMPA°CT REACTOR®
THE WORKING PRINCIPLE
THE WAB IMPA°CT REACTOR® with a horizontal reaction chamber is a tool for an effective mass transportation and efficient activation of a chemical reaction. It can be used for liquid and viscous pumpable products and heterogenous catalysts, combining the three impact technologies in one reactor:
- the DYNO®-ACCELERATOR
- the patented DYNO®-DISC BC agitator discs
- the DYNO®-DISC KD agitator discs
Together with the impact beads, this technology guarantees a high and uniform mechanical energy input and surface renewal of the reactants. Additionally to the application of endothermic processes, it can also be used for exothermic reactions due to its excellent cooling properties.
INSIDE THE WAB IMPA°CT REACTOR®
The WAB IMPA°CT REACTOR® is a complete process system consisting of an inductively heated agitator bead mill, two product pumps, a mobile operator panel and switch cabinet. The system allows working in both passage and circulation processes. Processing starts with 1 litre of suspension and can be scaled-up to the larger models of the DYNO®-MILL series.
- Product outlet up to +160 °C
- Inductor for an in-situ heating
- Product inlet up to +160 °C
- 0.5 litre reaction chamber
- Agitator shaft with DYNO-ACCELERATOR
HIGH PROCESS FLEXIBILITY
The machine will be operated by a graphic display which shows all important process information such as product temperature, pressure and flow rate. These data will be logged and can be read out from the system.
EVOLUTION OF GRINDING
The easiest way to perform a mechanochemical reaction is to use a pestle and mortar. How these reactions behave is different. The reason for this is that each operator applies a different level of energy into the reaction.
- Using a planetary ball simplifies the work and enables stable results, but it is limited to a batch process, it is not possible to control the temperature inside the jar and the reaction progress cannot be monitored.
- Working with a WAB DYNO®-MILL suited for mechanochemistry allows you to apply different reaction times with one or more pre-mixtures.
- It conserves valuable raw materials by reducing the necessity of cleaning between each trial and allows you to control and log important process parameters such as product temperature and energy input.
REDUCTION OF CARBON FOOTPRINT
- Reduce energy input
REDUCTION OF COSTS BY PROCESS INTENSIFICATION
- Enhance mass transport
- Reduce the amount of solvents and reagents
- Increase the selectivity and yield
COST COMPETITIVE EQUIPMENT IN TERMS OF CAPEX AND OPEX
- Reduce number of process steps
- positive ROI impact
TECHNICAL LEVERAGE BY A NEW APPROACH
- Bring temperature locally
- Mechanical and inductive heating
- New molecules and functions
- New synthesis routes
RELIABLE PARTNER FOR YOUR PROCESSES
To run your product you have the opportunity to use our Process Technology Centers (PTC’s) and benefit from your experiences. On request, we will also conduct the Factory Acceptance Tests (FAT’s) at WAB or the Site Acceptance Tests together with you on your premises.